RAIL ADVENTURES IN NORTH AMERICA
Train travel is easily the most underrated form of long-distance travel out there.
There's something old-school and charming about riding trains. Between the food car, the conductors, and the world flying by outside your window, there's a nostalgic appeal to train travel.
Travelling by train can be incredibly scenic. You can see cities, mountains, and rivers from the seat of a train. Train travel is just an all-around better, more relaxing experience than its air and car counterparts. While those are mainly about getting from point a to point b, trains are about the ride.
Beyond the obvious Eurostar and inter-rail options, there are multiple old-world routes still active through some of the best scenery in North America.
Whatever it is that draws you to rail travel in North America, let us take you.
World Class Adventures has access to the best tour operators and will tailor the perfect holiday just for you.
Book the perfect adventure - complete an enquiry form or call us on 0117 452 1159 to get started!
Our favourite North American rail journeys:
The Pacific Surfliner
Travel along the ocean on this Amtrak train that travels from San Diego, stopping along the way in quaint ocean towns like Encinitas, Carpinteria, San Juan Capistrano, and Ventura. Be sure to leave some time to explore Santa Barbara, or head all the way to the end of the line at san Luis Obispo
The Coast Starlight
- Ride up the edge of the west coast on Amtrak’s coast starlight, which goes all the way from Los Angeles to Seattle, passing through Santa Barbara, the San Francisco bay area, Sacramento, and Portland. The scenery along the way includes snow-covered peaks of the Cascade Range and Mount Shasta, forests and valleys, and long stretches of Pacific Ocean shoreline.
The Grand Canyon Railway
- Ride in the restored cars, hear folklore and tales from the crew and be entertained by authentic characters and musicians who bring the old west to life, whilst taking in the famously awe-inspiring scenery
- Cross over the united states’ northern border on Amtrak Cascades, stretching from Vancouver, Canada to Eugene, Oregon, passing through Portland and Seattle along the way. Stop in cities for day trips or overnight stays, and then hop back on a train to pass by Mount St. Helens and across the Columbia river gorge.
America's Great National Parks
- Discover five of America’s national parks on one 14-day rail tour, including two overnight rail trips on Amtrak’s empire builder and California zephyr trains. Along the way, you will get a chance to tour glacier, Yellowstone, Grand Teton, arches, and canyonlands national parks.
An Autumn tour in New England
- Take a rail tour through new England in the fall to take in the beautiful leaf colours. The trip includes three scenic rail excursions aboard the Conway scenic railroad, green mountain flyer fall foliage express and cape cod central railroad. Additional highlights include Boston city sightseeing, a visit to Plimoth plantation, excursions to Mystic Seaport, Hilden, the Norman Rockwell Museum, and Newport mansion.
The Maple Leaf Train
- Take a train trip that starts at Niagara Falls and ends in New York on Amtrak’s maple leaf train. Travel through the scenic Hudson River valley, New York’s wine country, and the gorges of the finger lakes region. While at Niagara Falls, stop for a cruise on the Hornblower to the rushing falls
Classic Canada Coast to Coast
- Experience the quaint seaside community of Halifax in the Canadian Maritimes, then journey by train to Montreal and explore the historic, multi-cultural streets. Visit Toronto, the country’s largest city, and enjoy a full-day tour out to the Ontario side of Niagara Falls and the surrounding area. Next, journey west for an incredible train experience through the Canadian plains and the Canadian Rocky Mountains. Your trip ends in Vancouver where you’ll see all the best sights of this diverse and vibrant city.
Canadian Rockies Discovery
- Experience the gorgeous scenery and breath-taking landscapes of the Canadian Rockies on this incredibly scenic rail journey from Vancouver to Calgary. Stroll down the charming cobblestone streets of Victoria. Get up close and personal with massive glaciers during an interactive ride on the ice explorer. See the spectacular natural treasures of Jasper and Banff
With 30 years of adventure travel experience, World Class Adventures select operators who deliver the best possible holidays for our customers. We remain independent and have the flexibility to provide you with the best package to suit your specific needs and budget. We search the whole market to find the best deals for every aspect of your trip so that you don’t have to, providing honest and impartial advice
Don’t just see the world. Make it better. Our planet‘s social and environmental welfare is important to us both as a business and as human beings. When you travel with us, you’re giving back as much as you take away. We strive to use ethical operators who support the local communities we visit, and carbon offset every flight we sell.
Contact us today to start planning your exciting itinerary. Complete an enquiry form or call us on 0117 452 1159!